Few people know that Konstantin Pavlovich Buteyko, born in 1923 in the Kharkov province, in the village of Ivanitsa (now Sumy region of Ukraine), was not only an outstanding Soviet scientist, clinician and physiologist, but also a philosopher of medicine. He came to this after having developed the so-called Buteyko method.
An amazing and extremely interesting fact of medicine is that Buteyko expressed and scientifically substantiated a fundamentally new concept - shallow breathing. Most people know that in any difficult and painful situations, classical medicine says one thing - breathe deeper.
However, as Buteyko himself said, it’s worth taking about 30 maximum deep breaths, and you will feel how dizzy and discomfort will appear throughout your body.
Interesting fact about K.P. Buteyko
It should be emphasized that the Buteyko method has a scientific basis, although it has a huge army of not only supporters, but also opponents. Whatever it was, but you will probably be interested to know that the British Prince Charles of Wales, who was ill with allergic rhinitis, was cured by the Buteyko method.
After this incident, the Parliament of England even discussed the possibility of introducing this method into official medicine at the state level.
According to Konstantin Pavlovich Buteyko, shallow breathing, which is acquired after a series of training sessions on his system, helps to get rid of more than a hundred diseases.
This is a serious statement, and given the fact that this breathing gymnastics really helped many people, it is worth considering whether to implement the simple and uncomplicated habit of shallow breathing!
Buteyko breathing method
There are many articles on the Internet devoted to the detailed analysis of this phenomenon in general, and the Buteyko method in particular. We will not go into details, but give only the basic data, guided by which, anyone who wants to improve their health or get rid of bronchial asthma, hypertension, angina pectoris, cerebral vascular spasms and many other diseases can fully recover.
- Breathing is carried out only through the nose, and the breath comes, relatively speaking, only to the level of the clavicle.
- Inhalation should be slow, about 2-3 seconds and inconspicuous (the chest and abdomen practically should not fluctuate).
- The exhalation is calm and passive for 3-4 seconds.
- Next comes a pause also 3-4 seconds.
- Respiratory rate ideally is 6-8 times per minute.
Please note that this is not about breath holding, but about volitional elimination of deep breathing. The main point is a volitional decision, and this is not easy, therefore, to correct the breath, you have to spend from 2 weeks to 3 months. If a person has a real problem with asthma, then perhaps he should make an effort to achieve full recovery, which, moreover, does not require monetary investments. Further some more recommendations.
- At least three hours a day it is necessary to reduce the depth and speed of breaths with the effort of will. And it does not matter whether you walk, stand or sit. Remember, the habit of shallow, proper breathing is not formed at once!
- Increase pause after exhalation.
- Before breakfast, lunch and dinner, do 3-6 extremely long breaths so that you can calmly hold up to 60 seconds or more.
- After long delays, rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Do not pay attention to the discomfort that may initially occur after delays. Studies have shown that no patient can reduce breathing to such an extent that it becomes harmful to the body.
The last interesting fact about Buteyko health is: the smaller the depth of breathing and the frequency of inhalations, the more healthy and durable the body will be!
And one more thing: do not confuse a pause with breath holding - these are different things.
So, Buteyko’s method is really interesting not only by its unique approach, but also by a lot of evidence about real and complete recovery.
Do not be ill, and be always cheerful!